Business Management Guidelines
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of business terminology, concepts, principles and theories
- Make business decisions by identifying the issue(s), selecting and interpreting data, applying appropriate tools and techniques, and recommending suitable solutions
- Analyse and evaluate business decisions using a variety of sources
- Evaluate business strategies and/or practices showing evidence of critical thinking
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the subject to hypothetical and real business situations
- Communicate business ideas and information effectively and accurately using appropriate formats and tools
Topic 1: Business organization and environment
1.1 Nature of business activity
1.2 Types of organization
1.3 Organizational objectives
1.5 External environment
1.6 Organizational planning tools
1.7 Growth and evolution
1.8 HL only change and the management of change
Topic 2 Human Resources
2.1 Human resource planning
2.2 Organizational structure
2.4 Leadership and management
Topic 3 Accounts and Finance
3.1 Sources of finance
3.2 Investment appraisal
3.3 Working capital
3.4 HL only Budgeting
3.5 Final accounts
3.6 Ratio analysis
Topic 4 Marketing
4.1 The role of marketing
4.2 Marketing planning
4.6 Place (distribution)
4.7 International marketing
Topic 5 Operations Management
5.1 Production methods
5.2 Costs and revenues
5.3 Break-even analysis
5.4 Quality assurance
5.7 Production planning
Internal Assessment Introduction
- The SL internal assessment is a written commentary.
- demonstrate the application of business and management tools, techniques and theories to a real business issue or problem.
- Select a real issue or problem, not a fictional one, and produce a commentary with a title presented as a question.
- commentary must refer directly to a single business organization, but may consider industry-wide issues that impact on that organization.
- You choose the company and issue by reading/finding a ‘catalyst’ news article
- Utilize primary and/or secondary data, selected for its suitability, depth and breadth.
Internal Assessment Commentary
- About a real company and a real problem.
- The commentary requires the application of business tools, techniques and theory to a contemporary business issue or problem.
- You choose the company and the problem.
- The issue or problem selected for the commentary is based on a current news article which identifies a specific business problem for a specific business. The story and issue/problem must relate to the SL syllabus and refer directly to a single business organization.
- First come, first served.
- You MAY NOT write about the same topic/problem and company as another AHS IB BM student.
- If two or more students are writing about the same company, the problem and catalyst article MUST be different.
- The title of the commentary must be phrased in the form of a question.
- The commentary must be at least 1200 words and not exceed 1,500 words. A word count must be included as part of the commentary.
- The commentary requires analysis and evaluation of the business issue or problem and possible solution.
- Must attach to the commentary three to five supporting documents from which the majority of the information for the commentary has been obtained. Any additional sources, such as textbooks, class notes and DVDs/videos, must be referenced, but will not be accepted as supporting documents.
- Students must highlight the parts of each supporting document that relate directly
- All supporting documents and additional sources must be fully referenced and included in a bibliography.